Dry Film Lubricants, are high performance coatings made up of very fine particles of molybdenum disulphide, lubricating agents blended with binders and other additives. Once cured, it bonds to a surface as a solid film which reduces galling, seizing and fretting. Dry film lubricants improve the wear life of coated parts.
Dry film/solid film lubricants can operate at pressures above the load-bearing capacity of normal greases. They also collect less soil particulates. In some applications, the coating is self-burnishing this can lead to improved, performance over time. Some blends of dry film/solid film lubricants are also temperature and chemical resistant allowing for their use in harsh environments.
Dry Film Lubrication Capabilities
- Sandstrom™ Everlube™ Molycote® Molydag® PL237™ available
- Spray and brush application
- Application of Zinc Phosphate or Manganese Phosphate as a pre-treatment
- Sulphuric acid anodizing or Alocrom as a pre-treatment for aluminium
- Aluminium oxide grit blasting as a pre-treatment
- Selective surface masking and multiple finishes per part
- Defence Standards (Def-Stan)
- British Standards (BS-EN)
Typical Dry Film/solid Film Applications
- Aerospace: provides start-up lubrication on jet engine and flight refuelling components
- Fasteners: allows for repeated assembly/disassembly