Aluminium Anodising creates an aluminium oxide film on the surface of an aluminium substrate. The resulting film is electrically non-conductive, protects against corrosion and is resistant to wear. Aluminium anodising is used widely in aerospace, automotive, defence, and medical applications.
There are four different finishes available at South West Metal Finishing.
Chromic acid anodising, The process is used predominantly for aerospace applications and produces a thin film coating which has an opaque appearance which is particularly suitable where minimal dimensional changes to components are permitted and also bonding prior to priming and painting.
Sulphuric acid anodising, the sulphuric acid process allows for a wide range of film thicknesses and gives excellent corrosion resistance which can also be enhanced by sealing in a chromate solution. The film can provide a range of surface textures with many different finishes. Matt, satin or a polished finish may be produced with this type of process. After sulphuric anodising South West Metal Finishing can offer a wide range of dyes to give a very attractive finish.
Hard sulphuric anodising, where a thick film is produced, that is highly abrasion resistant due to its surface hardness.
Tartaric Sulphuric Acid anodising (TSA) is primarily for corrosion protection. Airbus recommend this process to replace chromic acid anodising. Tartaric acid is added to sulphuric acid anodising baths to generate porous anodic film that provides corrosion resistance to practical aerospace alloys and reduces the environmental impact of the traditional chromic acid anodising process, but like chromic acid anodising offers good adhesion for bonding prior to priming and painting.
Colour anodising is also available to a wide spectrum of colours
- Chromic Acid Anodising
- Tartaric Sulphuric Acid Anodising
- Sulphuric Acid Anodising (clear & dyed)
- Hard Anodising
- Thin film Sulphuric Anodising
- Selective Masking for Multiple Finishes
- Post anodising dyes
- PTFE coating available
- Military (mil)
- Defence Standards (Def-Stan)
- Aerospace Material Specification (AMS)
Properties Of Aluminium Anodising
- Corrosion Resistance: The aluminium oxide film is resistant to atmospheric and saltwater environments.
- Electrical Insulation: Aluminium oxide film is dielectric.
- Paint Adhesion: Aluminium oxide film is a chemically active surface for painting.
- Adhesive Bonding: Aluminium oxide film improves adhesion and bond strength.
- Wear resistance